"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back to Work...With Lyle and Without

I have a small fear of daycare.  Maybe it was because I never went as a child, or because I had to inspect daycares as a part of my job, or because they are taking care of up to ten children by themselves when I know just how busy one child can keep you.  Whatever the reason, I really did not want Lyle to need to go to daycare once I went back to work.  Thankfully I have found other options.

Sleeping with Sandra at the front desk
My work allowed me to bring Lyle with me, ever since I returned from my maternity leave.  I will admit I was nervous about how well it would work.  I am a nurse at our local health department, and there are several times a day when I need to be in a exam room with a patient, without a little baby in my arms.  In my mind I started bringing him on a trial basis, and if it didn't work, I would find something else.  But I work with some amazing women.  And they all adopted Lyle, and helped me out more than I could have imagined.  When patients would come in, he would just switch hands and go play at someone else's desk.  My boss even had a little play mat and toys in her office for him. It made breastfeeding so much easier, being able to feed on demand rather than trying to figure out how often to pump.  There were challenges, especially on days he was cranky (he seemed to know it was a Monday like the rest of us!), or when we were really busy and his feeding schedule was disturbed.  Looking back, I am so glad I was able to bring him with me.  It was a comfort not leaving him with someone else when he was only seven weeks old, and I loved the extra time I was able to spend with him.
In his bouncy seat...he looks so unimpressed
Playing on his quilt in my office

I write all of this because yesterday was his first day with my friend Annie who will be watching him.  The timing worked out well, and she will be splitting time watching Lyle at her house and at ours.  She has a one year old son, and it will be good for Lyle to have someone to play with.  It made me happy to hear that when he got picked up yesterday, they were playing outside, looking at the chickens.  That's something he was missing out on here...being able to play and be outside.  I was sad though.  More sad than I thought I would be.  I miss my little guy talking and smiling with me throughout the day.  But it is good, and I am blessed.

Lyle playing with Eli yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment