"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Laundry Room Project

My laundry room had been driving me crazy.  It was cluttered, nothing quite had it's own "place", and it made me want to put off laundry even more than normal.  

At the beginning of the year I subscribed to "Home Storage Solutions 101" by email.  Each week they send an email with a different task to focus on in reorganizing your house.  They also have a calendar that includes daily 15 minute decluttering projects.  I was pretty committed at the beginning of the year, but have slacked off since.  

Last week when I got the email about laundry solutions, I was pretty excited.  I used some of their suggestions, ordered some baskets on Amazon, and took advantage of my extra day off to tackle my mess.

Washer (Before)
Dryer (Before)
Some of my main changes were:

1.  Take out anything that doesn't need to be in the laundry room.  So, normal cleaning supplies are now under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, car stuff is in the garage, and gardening supplies were forced out.  
2.  I put two laundry baskets on the washer.  One is for random clothes (mostly Lyle's that get taken off somewhere other than his room) and the other is for extra dirty/wet clothes (because I don't like them together with the rest of the dirty clothes, and before they lived on the floor!)
3.  I put two baskets on the dryer to hold laundry soap, spray-n-wash, dryer sheets, etc.
4.  Bought extra collapsible laundry baskets to take loads out of the dryer to be folded and up to the right rooms, etc.  I am notorious for taking our actual laundry baskets downstairs, folding clothes into them, then procrastinating putting the clothes away!  Meanwhile all newly dirty clothes end up on the floor of the closet.  Hopefully this will help!
5.  Bought a set of drawers to hold old rags and light bulbs.

Washer (After)
Dryer (After)
I can already tell how much having a clean laundry room is helping.  Plus I really needed to get all the cleaning bottles off the floor, since L likes to "help" me do laundry!  :)  My next step is to put up a few decorations.  Pinterest has been my inspiration.  These are some of my favorite picks!

(source)

(source)

2 comments:

  1. Love all of it! Your making your laundry room a happy place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laundry room looks great!

    ReplyDelete