"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Quilts for Two

I am over a year late, but I thought I would share the quilts I made for my twin niece and nephew.  And a little about how I designed them.

There are a lot of ways to pick your pattern and fabric, including books, magazines, quilt shops, and the internet.  I tend to go with the internet option, simply for convenience sake.  Seeing fabric in person is very helpful though, and can give you some great ideas.    I usually start on Pinterest and Etsy, or more recently Craftsy looking for inspiration.  Sometimes I have found fabric that I love and look for a pattern that will do a good job featuring it.  Other times I find a pattern and go the opposite way.  Most patterns include what fabric they use or you can even buy them as kits all together.  I think I have only used the original fabric intended for that quilt on my very first project.  Since then I have had fun picking fabric that matches the coming baby, nursery theme, or special interests.    

I do not claim to be an expert, or even really that good at quilting (don't look closely at my corners!), but it's been a fun project to do for new nieces, nephews, and my own babies. 

For the twins' quilt we knew they were having a boy and girl.  I had a hard time deciding whether to do the same pattern in different fabric, or different coordinating patterns.  I had loved these chevron patterns for quite a while, and ended up using the same pattern, but switching out different colored stripes.  



I think these have been my favorite quilts to make so far, mostly because I found the most perfect fabric!  Some of it was even an exact match for fabric they used in their nursery without even knowing it!  I had fun using bikes and cameras (both passions of my brother-in-law) and plenty of polka-dots, stripes, and beachy themes for my sister.


 Look how little my model was!


 I pieced the quilts together, then had them machine quilted by a local gal.  In all this was a really simple pattern to do, and the contrast of the white stripes helps the color stand out!

I used the Ziggy Baby Quilt Pattern and bought it on Etsy.  One of my favorite sites to look for fabric is Fabric Worm.  They have some of the cutest lines!  Once I pick the fabric I like, I usually do a bit of price-shopping, looking at other sites like  fabric.com, Cedar House Fabric, and occasionally Etsy or ebay. 

Here is a list of the names of the fabric I used for these quilts.  If you pick fabrics from the same designer or manufacturer, you can mix and match lines a little bit easier.

Weston's Quilt: 

Orange-
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Dottie color Orange 
    Birch Organic, Safari Soiree, Ele Train Orange 
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Birdie Spokes Orange
    Birch Organic, Marine Too, Urchin Forest Sunset
Mixed-
    Retro Bike
    Birch Organic, Frolic, Frolic Boy
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Elli Fam Multi 
    Birch Organic, Just for Fun, Camper Multi
Grey Stripe-
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Abacus Shroom
    Birch Organic Mod Basics, Elli Fam Shroom
    Birch Organic, Next Stop, Captured
    Birch Organic, Elk Grove, Knot Dot
Green-
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Flora Stripes Grass 
    Birch Organic, Eiko, Stamp Stripe Grass 
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Birdie Spokes Grass
    Birch Organic, Just for Fun, Skinny Chevron Grass
Teal-
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Birds and Clouds Blue
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Bossa Ukes Teal
    Birch Organic, Charley Harper, Twig fall teal
    Birch Organic, Ipanema,  Main Teal


Summer's Quilt:

Yellow-
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Dottie Color Sun
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Birdie Spokes Sun
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Rio Geo Sun
    Birch Organic, Double Gauze, Poppies Sun
Mixed-
    Birch Organic, Frolic, Frolic Girl
    Birch Organic, Safari Soiree, Toucan Tango
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Birds and Clouds Multi
    Birch Organic, Avalon,  Her cruisers
Grey Stripe-
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics, Abacus Shroom
    Birch Organic Mod Basics, Elli Fam Shroom
    Birch Organic, Next Stop, Captured
    Birch Organic, Elk Grove, Knot Dot
Coral Stripe-
    Lotta Jansdotter, Mormor Collection, Blomster Cora
    Michael Miller, Tile Pile Coral
    Birch Organic, Just for Fun, Skinny Chevron Cora
    Birch Organic, Mod Basics 2, Knotty Bois Cora
Teal-
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Birds and Clouds Blue
    Birch Organic, Ipanema, Bossa Ukes Teal
    Birch Organic, Charley Harper, Twig fall teal
    Birch Organic, Ipanema,  Main Teal
   
I have a couple more projects in the works, and I am loving them so far.  Aria will get her quilt one of these days, bless her heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment