"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hawaii.2

Since babies do not understand time changes, and since he had slept more on the plane than either Zach or I, Lyle was up at 4:30 the next morning.  This was partly due to being woken up by a text message to Zach's phone from guys at work, who thought it would be funny.  Funny it was not.

So Lyle and I got up, found a football to play with, and watched the Hawaii sunrise from our backyard.  A blessing to help remind me how beautiful life is, even early in the morning.  Maybe a little more beautiful if I had been able to find coffee in the house, but we survived. :) 


Once the rest of the house was up, we headed out for a day of exploring.  Everyone else (other than Kodi's husband Shawn, myself, and Lyle) had been to Hawaii multiple times to visit and see the sights.  So Zach and Kodi took us to some of the more "touristy"  spots while the rest of the family relaxed at the house. 

Before we could do anything else we had to stop at Lanikai Juice for acai bowls.  Oh my goodness.  I could eat these everyday.  They have acai, blended with banana, strawberries, blueberries, and apple juice, topped with granola and sliced bananas and honey.  So so good.  They made another stop at Starbucks for me, then it was on to Pearl Harbor.



We got there about 9:30 only to find out that all tickets for the day were sold out.  So we looked from afar and moved on.  Our next step was driving to the Nuuanu Pali Lookout.  It was gorgeous.  And W-I-N-D-Y!  I love the views in Hawaii.  I love that you look toward the ocean and not only sea hundreds of shades of blue, but also trees, flowers, mountains, and sand.  Most of the beaches I have been to were beautiful, but the view was mostly flat and straight...sky.  Hawaii is just so different!

See! WINDY!



From there we headed to the Dole Pineapple Plantation.  We browsed through the gift shop (found Lyle a really cool fabric ABC book) and headed out back to find some food.  First things first, right?  Not to mention fresh pineapple is one of our all time favorites!  After lunch we rode the train, learning all about the history and growing of pineapples.  Our great guide Zach then navigated us through the enormous maze.  I've learned that he is awesome at them (proved to me yearly at the corn maze with the MYF kids) and I am terrible at them.

Pineapple

Riding the train
The Maze


Hot, thirsty, and a little pink we headed back to the house to join the rest of the family for an evening of catching up, grilling out, and bed by 9 o'clock! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment